* Before you begin, prepare a cookie sheet covered with wax paper
(or prepare your molds if you have them)
The basic recipe is very simple:
- 100ml virgin coconut oil (about half a cup)
- 100ml cocoa powder (about half a cup)
- 50ml pure maple syrup (about a quarter of a cup)
- 2ml vanilla (about half a teaspoon) [Optional]
(The measurements above will fit nicely in a 35cm x 25cm tray)
All measurements are by volume. A larger batch would be:
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or other healthy sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla [Optional]
You can add more or less sweetener, or use stevia to help make it sweet. Using some stevia is a great way to reduce the other sweeteners, especially if you are diabetic. Honey is also a good sweetener, and I sometimes use a mix of honey and maple syrup.
Put the coconut oil in a pot, and use very low heat to melt it. Use a stainless steel, glass, or ceramic pot. Or use a double boiler if you have one. You do not want to boil the oil, so the heat must be very low. I remove the oil from the heat after it melts. Then you add the other liquids, then the cocoa, and keep stirring until everything is mixed smoothly. It will be a little thick, but still quite fluid. A lot of stirring and proper heat is key. The heat must be very low. It only takes a couple of minutes to make the chocolate smooth.
Once the chocolate liquid is smooth, pour the warm mixture onto the cookie sheet that is covered with wax paper. Just let it spread out into a thin layer. Then put the tray in your fridge or freezer.
You can break up the chocolate in to pieces after it becomes hard in a few hours.
Put the chocolate pieces in a container and keep the chocolate in the fridge or freezer.
You can try making the chocolate many different ways until you find the taste that you like best:
- Using different sweeteners will change the taste a little.
- Adding more or less sweetener or vanilla will change the taste.
- You can sprinkle nuts, raisins, or shredded coconut after you pour the chocolate onto the tray.
- Using silicon molds makes the chocolate look much better, and it even seems to taste better.
One of the most important points when making chocolate is using very low heat.
** What to Buy, Where to Buy it **